Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Back to NYC: Part 3, Our last days

The last few days of our trip are actually a blur at this point. We were both so tired but determined, there was so much that we hadn't yet seen and we weren't going to leave without trying to see it all!

So on our last full day in NYC we went to Staten Island so we could take the ferry past the Statue of Liberty, then we went to Coney Island because it's creepy as hell, and then we crossed the Brooklyn bridge and walked wall street. Phew.

I was... kinda disappointed by the statue of liberty. Yeah, it was cool and big and stuff but from the Ferry it kinda just looked like a dong protruding from the coast (please don't shoot me for saying that). I think that it is probably a hell of a lot more impressive up close, but neither Brandt nor I were willing to risk the crowds to see it like that. 

Staten Island was pretty cool. Due to time constraints, we didn't spend a lot of time there but we walked a bit and it was nice to be on the coast. 

A lady offered to take a photo of us and, to be honest, I was so on edge letting her do so! Being a South African, I expect everyone to run off with my stuff. So in this photo, I was kinda ready to run after and tackle this women in order to save my photos!  

This was the only ballpark we visited in the US and so we had to take a horse photo (okay maybe just me) with it.

There was also a war memorial on Staten Island which, obviously, was not as impressive as the one in Washington DC, but it was pretty cool anyway. (The photo below is not mine)

Next, we went to Coney Island which was a very creepy place to be! The sign below was quite strange to me, as from what I see it is Russian (correct me if I'm wrong). Coney Island was very strange in the way that it was almost washed out. The beach front was okay, but I do prefer our beaches in South Africa (minus the litter).

I must say, I was more terrified than delighted on the island. I kept expecting to be eaten by a clown. Buuuut I'm still here so... You lose, Mr. Clown.

I found the walk from Coney Island beach to the train station to be very odd. The area was dingy, almost like being in the middle of Durban.

Next, Brooklyn Bridge! It took us a long time to get ourselves to this point, as we honestly could not figure out what bridge was the f*&^ing Brooklyn one. It was an ongoing joke between us...

We wondered around Brooklyn for a bit trying to find it and got a pretty cool view of the culture of the area. There were ballerinas and dodgy looking guys and, overall, it was quite a cool thing to see. When we finally got to the bridge, there were sooo many tourists. But then again, we were tourists too so we couldn't really complain. I'd probably lose my mind if I had to commute by foot or bicycle over the Brooklyn Bridge every day and couldn't because TOURISTS!

I wish we'd had a lock with us so we could have added it to the line that was already there. I want a lock for Brandt and I on every continent! Ah well, next time...

This is probably my favourite photo from the trip because this girl just totally photo bombed me! She rode past on her bicycle saying "sorry sorry sorry sorry!" 

And then there's what the photo was supposed to be, which turned out to be pretty awesome. By this point I was so grey from tiredness, and so bent over that I almost looked like a bridge myself. 

The bridge police are hilarious. I was glad that this guy didn't climb out of his... shopping cart and tell me to delete my photos like the police in South Africa do. But I suppose the police in the US don't have anything to be ashamed of!

Well this photo is out of place.

So, we actually stumbled across Wall Street. When we got to the other side of Brooklyn Bridge, we were seriously hungry. There was a very affordable sushi place that I'd seen promoted all over Trip Advisor, and so we thought we'd try and find it. So what did we do? We found a Starbucks for the free wifi. And once we found Bento Sushi, we found wall street! 

It was really hard to try and get home though because we swiped our metro cards at one station and found that we were at the wrong station, so we had to cross the road and try to swipe them on the other side. And the machine wouldn't let us through. What. a. mission. We stood around in a big sporting shop for a while, and had a look at a massive shoe shop too, but after it still didn't work we decided to walk to the next stop and give that a try. When we finally got home, we were so tired that I honestly don't remember that last night at all.

This was the last day in NYC. We went to Central Park and saw chipmunks! I got seriously pissed off when it started raining because we became absolutely soaked and our luggage was locked away because we had checked out of our rooms already, and so we couldn't shower. And there was a two day trip home ahead of us, completely dirty from the rain...

I had also slipped on a street and into a huge puddle which didn't make things any better. It was my last day in NYC and the last thing I wanted to do was sit in the place we were staying and do nothing!

So, our trip home was a 14 hour flight to Dubai, a 9 hour layover (yes, you heard me) and another 8 or so hours from Dubai and back to South Africa. By the end of this all, I was so exhausted that I literally just lay around for the majority of this. I couldn't handle not being horizontal anymore, even though I couldn't really sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment